HAPPY THANKSGIVING post #1-Music

Hey guys, it's yo girl emilia and I wanted to do something special for all of you guys this Thanksgiving. For every single day this week, I am going to write a post about what I am so Thankful for. I hope you enjoy these posts and allows you to look at your own self and think about things that you are grateful for as well. Anyway, lets begin with first post.

When I went to my middle school band interviews to see what instrument I would play, the instrument that I wanted to play was the clarinet. The whole point of the "interview" was to figure out which instrument best fits you. When I was trying out the clarinet mouthpiece with my band teacher, she kept saying, "Oh, you're doing great. Now let's try this one." She went from a clarinet to a oboe, which is a double reed instrument. Then after successfully trying those 2 reeds and mouth pieces, she made me try a bassoon reed. "Wow, you're so dang good that we are going to try the instrument." she said as she pulled out this huge transformer of an instrument. For those of you unaware of what a bassoon is, it is a double reed, woodwind, instrument that gives off a low mellow sound. You can't stand up and play with it because it is so big. You actually have to use a SEAT BELT to hold it to the seat. I tried it out and I ended up enjoying it a lot and chose that as the instrument that I would learn.

Throughout my whole middle school band "career" I ended up making the regional band in 7th grade, went straight from beginners band to my schools honors band, so I was surprisingly good. But I am not in high school band, why? Well to first set the tone, the music that we would play for competitions and concerts involved pieces of music that came from movie soundtracks, such as Star Wars or How to Train Your Dragon. I fell in love listening to the other instruments in my band play the melody of those pieces and I had so much fun playing the parts that I played. Outside of school, I started listening to songs from movies and TV shows all over. I fell in love with classical music because now I had this ability to pick apart the music and figure out what instrument is playing, I was especially excited when a bassoon had the main part.

I quit band after 8th grade because I appreciated music and I had it flowing through my veins but I didn't want to continue because I didn't enjoy the constant push push push of perfecting music and the loneliness of my 8th grade year. I wanted to enjoy music, learn at my own speed and enjoy it on my own. Plus, because I was a bassoon, I would have to change my instrument in order to be in the marching band season, and I did not want to do that, especially because I was going to be swimming in high school.


So after I was in band, I started to appreciate and love music even more, and not just classical music. I have loved pop music ever since I was the hugest Kids Bop fan. (Cringy, I know) But I am honestly a huge fan of all sorts of genres of music: Classical, pop, alternative, rap, R&B,  I have recently gotten into lofi and vapor wave music, and electric music. As you can see, the only genre that I am not really a fan of is country, sorry folks I just don't really like it.

I listen to music everyday, for a majority of my day. I listen to it to pump me up, comfort me, make me happy, to study, to exercise, and a couple of years ago, I used it to help me fall asleep. Without music, I wouldn't have a rhythm or melody in the back of my mind, or a song that I hum to that makes my frown turn upside down. So I am sooo thankful and grateful that I can listen to music and learn how to play music. I love clicking on a new Spotify playlist or putting a vinyl on my record player and just sit there, thinking of awesome scenes that could go with the song.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you enjoy this little series I am going to begin for Thanksgiving. Let me know what are some of your favorite songs or genres of music. <3

love,
yo girl emilia

P.S. Here are some photos of fetus emilia playing the bassoon. 


*in a owen wilson voice* wow.

Comments

Popular Posts