My Favorite Fashion Trends of 2020

 Happy New Year's Eve! I wanted to end this year with a fun blog post where I, yo girl emilia, talk about some of my favorite fashion trends from this year. I have already seen some videos and predictions on what the fashion trends will be in 2021 (I'm sorry, but fuzzy trench coats are not applicable to humid/hot Houston) and I say that we should just let the fashion magic happen! Anyways, let's begin. 

Not me in the pic! I liked the fit and I wanted to include it :)


-Platform Shoes: I got my first pair of Doc Marten shoes (I got a pair of sandals on sale) for my birthday. When I saw that platform boots and other platform shoes were really popular I was obsessed with the trend! I really want to save up and buy a pair in the future, seeing all sorts of ways that you can wear those shoes is really cool. Some days you just want to be 6 inches taller, okay?


-Leather: Leather made a very chill comeback this year in the form of leather jackets, leather pants, different boots, and even leather corsets. I thrifted a really cool leather jacket last year and I love to see how some people will dress leather jackets up with a dress or just simply wear it over a graphic tee. I really like how this year the "leather jacket" aesthetic moved away from bikers and motorcycles to a more grunge or indie theme. 


-Wide Pants:
Skinny jeans are no more. Within the past couple of years, the increase in popularity of wide-leg pants or straight pants has grown and I think no one would want to wear skin-tight jeans after wearing sweatpants and pajamas at home. Levis has several popular styles that many people hunt for in resale shops and thrift stores. Pants that are straight-legged are my favorite now, even corduroy pants that have flared legs are so cool. 


-Bright Colors (Decades/Y2K): Bright neons, early 2000's fashion (Y2K), and a rise in other decades fashion from the 90s and 70s helped made 2020's shadows brighter. A popular hair trend was to also dye the front strips of your hair with bright colors or bleach it white. Within the trend of Y2K, I love the revival of skirts! Tennis skirts and long maxi shirts, all ranging from different patterns and colors. It is has very Winx Club vibes (which is honestly great because Netflix disappointed us with that Winx Club trailer).


-Blazers: OOOOOOO! Dark academia fashion. *mwah* Wearing a blazer can make any outfit look so classy and professional. I wore a blue outfit with a blazer one day to school and several people asked me if I was going to a job interview. I was like if that is the vibe I'm giving off, then I'm cool with it! I've seen people wear blazers with elaborate sweaters or turtlenecks and some other outfits with simple graphic t-shirts. Very elegant, very intimidating 10/10 would recommend. 


-Small Handbags:
With buying more on online resale outlets like DePop and other apps, vintage clothing has been on the rise. One of my favorite things on the rise is small body/side bags. There are really cute vintage ones, like small Dior bags, some that are fuzzy and soft, and then just some simple fabric or leather handbags :) It is a nice transition point from the tiny tiny bags and wallets that were popular in 2019 and huge bags in the 2010s. I have a small coach bag that used to be my mom's and I bring it to school with me to keep my wallet and keys in and I get a lot of compliments with it. 


-Sweater Vests: AH! I want a sweater vest really bad. I love this recent trend so much because there are the wool sweaters that are knit very detailed, while the trend of knitting/crocheting has introduced bright colors in the winter and fall of 2020. You could wear it by itself or on top of a variety of shirts. I have to go thrifting more soon to try and find some that fit me. This one in the picture has such a cute color scheme and I have even seen some cartoony flowers (like in the first graphic) or clouds. 

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you had a...decent 2020. I understand that this year was difficult for many for a variety of different reasons, but I am proud of you for making it through. I want to wish you and your families a safe, healthy, and happy 2021. Let this year be a new year of fresh starts where we all apply the harsh lessons and experiences we had in 2020. Sending you all new year's hugs for 2021!

love,

yo girl emilia

Follow me on Instagram where I post my outfits: @yogirlemilia

*all outfits founded on Pinterest and they are credited to their rightful owner, not to me*

Comments

Popular Posts