My Favorite Skincare Products of 2020

2020 was one of the worst years for skincare. From sitting at home and just not doing anything but work on a laptop in a dark corner, to oily masks causing us to suffer from chin and cheek acne, and the overall increase in stress this year made a nasty cocktail. Nevertheless, I am here to share some of my favorite products this year that helped me a bit and hopefully, they can help you in 2021. Remember that I am not a dermatologist and I am just sharing my experience/opinions. If you have serious health issues, be sure to go see a doctor. Be sure to also comment on some recommendations for me to try out in 2021!

Acure Brightening Face Scrub $10 at Target- My friend gave this to me for Christmas in 2019 and I LOVE it. I exfoliate my face 2-3 times a week, so about every other day. I wash my face with my face wash and then use a little bit of this to get the oils, dirt, and dead skin off of my face. It works really well, smells great, and then my face is soft like a newborn baby when I hop out of the shower. It is made from kale and seaweed so it makes your face super green and ~fresh~. 

Sunbum Sunscreen $10, you could also buy in bulk at Costco- This summer I worked as a lifeguard with 8-hour shifts sometimes while also swimming club. I have vitiligo and very sensitive skin on my face, so I had to wear a hat, sunglasses, mask, and sunscreen to keep my face safe. Sunbum sunscreen is a favorite in my family because not only do they have several different types if you have a zinc allergy, but it is very soft on your face and hands without the nasty sunscreen smell. My uncle told me in CA that Sunbum is really popular with surfers because it works really well when applying to the sensitive areas that their wetsuits don't cover (face and hands). So while swimming and working all summer in the hot Texas sun, this really saved me. 


Garnier Skin Active The Gentle Sulfate-Free Cleanser $9-$12-
 I stole this from my mom. (Sorry Mama) This is the cleanser I have been using throughout the year and I honestly have no complaints. It is a simple and gentle cleanser that does its job of washing my face off after a workout or a long day with makeup on. I like it because you really do not need a lot, and when you buy the bottle, it lasts a very long time. I have gentle skin, so after being in the sun all day with swimming and work, this was a great facial cleanser to treat my sun-tired skin. 

Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap: Lavender and the Citrus Scents $4- Another friend gave me some of these 4 oz Castile soaps, one a lavender scent and another a citrus scent. These are great to add to your body wash, or even your face wash. I added the lavender one to my body wash because it smelled so nice, and then I added the citrus one to my facial cleanser for a vitamin c boast. They are cheap, on the bottle they have a full list of things that you can use the soap from body wash to laundry detergent. I want to try some of the other scents in the future, like the peppermint one!

Random Skin Tip: So uh, this isn't actually a product but more of a recommendation. If you notice that when you eat a lot of a certain food product and have breakouts, rash, eczema, all of the above, then cut it out! I have always had a slight milk allergy, but this year it got really bad and I even had to go to the dermatologist to get a prescribed ointment to treat my eczema. I decided to cut out milk, milk products, and peanut butter (I don't know man, I think it was also causing me some rashes). Cutting out these foods really helped out! I've noticed that my eczema has greatly decreased and even my acne breakouts have decreased. Take notice if you have bad flare-ups after eating certain food and try to replace/cut it out :)

Well, it is a shorter list than in years past, but I am glad that this blog post is continuing for its 3rd year in a row! In 2021, I maybe want to try out some serums and see if there are some on the cheaper side that I like. Anyways, thank you so much for reading, I really appreciate it, I want to wish you all a Happy New Year and healthy skin!

love,

yo girl emilia

FOLLOW ME INSTAGRAM: @yogirlemilia


Comments

Popular Posts