What to Do in New Orleans, Lousiana

Welcome everyone, back to another travel guide. It is yo girl emilia and I am here to share my favorite places to eat and see in the wonderful, southern city of New Orleans. I am giving you a family friendly, no alcohol influenced (I'm looking at you Bourbon Street) guide. Feel free to comment down below your favorite places in the city of Jazz :)

Where to Eat

NOLA is also known as the Madi Gras capital of the world that is filled with delicious Cajun food. In contrast, New Orleans is also filled with lots of European influenced restaurants because of the city's French roots. Here are some of my recommendations

Gumbo Shop

This restaurant is my recommendation for you to go to for Lunch. The menu is filled with amazing varieties of Cajun food. I loved the Jimbayla and gumbo because if it's in the name, you have to try it. The ambiance of this restaurant is also so unique, space is not too small, yet it feels cozy. There is a mural painted all over the wall and golden light fixtures that make you feel like you are dining at something exquisite.

630 St Peter, New Orleans, LA 70116

Domenica

 This restaurant is my recommendation for dinner. Domenica is an Italian pizza place that has delicious flatbread and regular pizza. The service was good and I loved the glasses they would pore your water into. I have to be quite honest, my favorite part of this restaurant was the light fixtures, again. I went at night time and the crystal lights were sparkling in the low light while I ate my pizza. I mean, just look how pretty it is down below!

123 Baronne St, New Orleans, LA 70112

Cafe Beignet

This restaurant is my recommendation for breakfast. I know I went in a weird order for this list, but eh... Anyways, when you take the trolly along the Mississippi to arrive at the French Quarter, this is the first cafe once you get off the trolly. I love the look on the inside with the old mirror and copper detailing. The line at Cafe Du Monde can take up all of the French Quarter sometimes, so just come here instead to get some yummy croissants, lattes, and beignets to begin your day in NOLA.

334 Royal St, New Orleans, LA 70130

What to See

Take a Cemetery Tour

It sounds a bit morbid, I know, but it was actually really interesting. My mother and I went on a tour of the St. Louis Cemetery No. 2 and we had a really good time learning about the history of New Orleans and how they buried their dead. We got to see some famous graves (like Nicholas Cage's grave he made in
advance) and we had a really funny tour guide. You can book a tour with many companies, but I recommend the tour company that is right next to/inside The Page Bar. 

If you do go on any tour, please remember to be respectful when walking among the graves. 

The Page Bar:  542 N Rampart St, New Orleans, LA 70112
St Louis Cemetery No. 2:  300 N Claiborne Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112

Royal St, Toulouse St, and other avenues to walk and shop

Jackson Square in The French Quarter is always busy with people either waiting in line for Cafe Du Monde or admiring the street performers, so I recommend
walking a little bit past Jackson Square to see beautiful balconies with flowers, plants, and shops below to buy souvenirs and admire antiques. If you are in New Orleans to drink and party, go to Bourbon Street. But if you are like me, underaged and have a family, explore the French architecture and colorful shops. 

Streets to walk along:
Royal Street
Toulouse Street
Dauphine Street


 Audubon Aquarium of America


New Orleans is located in a very wet part of the country. It is not rare for some days to be filled with rain and cloudy weather, so you need to have some options when that happens. I recommend seeing the Audubon Aquarium of America. It is right on the Mississippi River and it is quite a large establishment filled with all sorts of aquatic creatures. I especially recommend this if you have a family with small kids. 

1 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70130


Thank you so much for reading this blog post! If you are going on a trip to New Orleans sometime soon, I hope you have a good trip and eat lots of good Cajun food. Please comment your favorite places in NOLA down below, I love new recommendations.

love,
yo girl emilia




Comments

Popular Posts