How to Survive Long Road trips

Being apart of a family of 5 means that I normally take part in LONG road trips. That's the ~wonderful~ reality of living in Texas, it takes so long to get
anywhere. I just finished a 14-hour road trip from Houston to Colorado. Here are some of my tips.

Bring the Obvious Necessities


This will vary from person to person, but a majority of us will probably have a phone charger, headphones, and of course, our phones. But if you honestly enjoy anything else, books, magazines, or writing to pass the time, feel free to bring your favorites. I personally bring a book to read when I am sick and tired of looking at my phone or when there is no service. 

Music to my ears


Make sure you have a good playlist. Whether if that means making a completely new one to spice things up or listening to one of your old ones, be sure you can jam out for hours with some good music. I have some of my playlists down below, including my playlists from the past and playlists made by Spotify.  

Remain hydrated


This is kinda ironic. People tell you not to drink a ton so you don't have to feel like you have to go to the restroom for miles, but you need to make sure you ARE drinking water so you remain hydrated and healthy throughout your trip. You don't want to be groggy and feeling sick from not remaining hydrated. Plus if you are going up and down in elevation, it can help with not getting headaches.

Comfy Clothes


Do not, do not, do not wear jeans. I made that mistake for a 5+ hour road trip and I was uncomfortable. If you are driving at night, wear pajamas, driving in the day, wear something pretty comfy with slip-on shoes so you can easily put them on and off in the car. I like to wear my slip-on Vans or flip flops so I don't have to lace up shoes at gas stations. 

Discover Podcasts!


There are so many podcasts in the world. You can listen to them on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Google Play Music. I know this is a very "millennial" recommendation, but I personally like to listen to comedy podcasts. Here are some of my recommendations:
-My Brother, My Brother, and Me  (It is a talk show of 3 brothers that answer really funny questions from their listeners and from Yahoo Questions)
-Jenna & Julien   (this is a podcast of Youtuber Jenna Marbles and her boyfriend (sorry, best friend), Julien. They play funny games, talk about interesting topics, and they are just really chill to listen to!)
-Youtuber podcasts  (a lot of YouTubers have podcasts, I like David Dobrik's Views, Cody Ko's and Noel Miller's Tiny Meat Gang, and sometimes listening to Casey Neistat's Couples Therapy.

But if you don't like comedic podcasts or storytelling podcasts, there are a ton of other genres that are educational that can teach you something new with history, science, or business. I know that there are people who like listening to creepy crime or horror cases, but whatever floats your boat man. Plus podcasts really help pass the time.

Ways to avoid car sickness

I will admit, I am one of those people who get car sick. Thankfully, I don't have it that bad as other people do, but I do turn a little green when we go up and down or side to side in the car.

1) Lie down, sometimes lying on your side or back can help subside nauseous feelings. 
2) Cool down, do that by either turning the A/C towards you (JACK UP THE COLD AIR) or drinking water
3) Close your eyes, when you see where you are driving in can help make the feeling worse, so just close your eyes and think happy thoughts. 


And that's about it! Let me know some of your road trip tips, I'm gonna need them for the future :) Thank you so much for reading this blog post, I hope you enjoy your roadtrip!

love, 
yo girl emilia

SPOTIFY PLAYLISTS:

Comments

Popular Posts