Appreciating the small things

I have always been a big supporter of appreciating small details on objects, decorations, clothes, events, and just life in general. I wanted to explain what I meant by that here. Enjoy?

There is a blue jays nest... 

in my neighborhood and a cardinal's nest where I work. When I am sitting outside in my small backyard, admiring the roses my mother planted, I am pleasantly surprised when I am joined by a blue jay. Blue Jays aren't very common where I live in hot, humid Houston. When I started noticing more and more blue jays sitting on fences and singing pretty songs, I am always so happy to admire their blue feathers and their peaceful presence. Growing up, I always associated cardinals with Arizona because I remember watching the Arizona Cardinals play football. When I see a cardinal, it reminds me of the pleasant memories of my childhood when I used to live in Arizona. 

So just appreciating the presence of a small blue or red bird can really lift my mood. 


When I watch a TV show...


or a movie I am always paying attention to the music. Whether it be music added to a scene that was made by another artist, or composed entirely by a director, I honestly judge a movie or TV series based off of its music. Take Stranger Things, it has this genius soundtrack that makes you literally erk with suspense and transforms you back to the '80s. I like the score so much, that I even listen to it when I study because of how original it sounds. But if you take the show Good Omens, a series I just finished, it doesn't really have a composed score that you can appreciate. Don't get me wrong, its a good series, it just feels like its missing something.

Noticing and falling in love with the music in a movie or tv show is something that I admire and respect for the effort of the composers, and production crews.


What am I trying to say here?


Well, dear reader, I am trying to teach a lesson/give advice with appreciating the small things around you. I am a detail-oriented person, that is true, but it stills bring me joy when I notice the small, beautiful things. If you have a hard time being happy with your surroundings, take time to appreciate what is around you. Appreciate the landscaping of flowers in an area, notice the architecture of an old or new building, and maybe just admire the weather.

And this whole philosophy doesn't have to just apply to your surroundings, it can apply to people too. Small inside jokes, sentimental gifts, and more can strengthen friendships or relationships with family. Just as in the quote above, the little things you share with a person can mean a lot and stick in a person's memory for a long time.

Thank you for reading this post. It struck to me while I was sitting at home that I really admire the little details in life and I wanted to make a quick post on the beauty of it. I hope you enjoyed my little mumbo jumbo of thoughts I just wrote, and hopefully, it can create little thoughts in your head too :)

love,
yo girl emilia

p.s. be sure to follow me on social media:

instagram: @yogirlemilia
youtube channel: emilia mrugala 

Comments

Popular Posts