Boulder, Colorado Travel Diary: Day Two

Welcome to part two of my Colorado travel diary! If you have not read Day One, you should go read it real quick: click here ! Good? Alrighty, let's begin!

Hey, it's yo girl emilia and when we left off, I was in Boulder, Colorado visiting my cousin. I had just passed out from being "jet-lagged" and a food coma from yummy pizza, all good? Alright, let's begin.

Sunday: Day Two

here's the outfit! *chef kiss* love me
some neutral tones
I woke up pretty early. My cousin was still asleep, so I decided to organize and write a couple of things before she woke up. We were going to Denver today, and I was pretty excited. I got dressed in my outfit for the day: tan corduroy bootleg pants, a scarlet turtleneck, and a tan and red sweater on top of my turtleneck. I topped off the outfit with some gold jewelry and I was feeling pretty warm and groovy for the day. We at breakfast at the dining hall near my cousin's dorm and it was funny to see how empty it was. College kids definitely don't wake up before 9 am, especially on a Sunday.

While we were eating, my cousin found a bus route to downtown Denver that was leaving in about 30 mins. It sounded like a good option and we would have to go on a bus to downtown Boulder to the Boulder main station. Until our bus, we played several card games after we finished our food and drank coffee to wake up. Turns out we didn't coffee to wake up. When we walked outside, the morning wind whooshed and woke us up and nearly swept us off our feet. I'm exaggerating, but the wind was cold and harsh as we walked to the bus station, but the sun rose high enough by then that most of the wind had calmed.

Downtown Boulder was quiet not a lot of the shops were open and not a lot of people were walking around. The bus we took went directly to the downtown Boulder station, and we waited for 5 minutes while the Denver bus pulled in. The drive to Denver was nice. There were some noisy guys who talked a little loud for the winter morning, but we looked outside as the mountains went further and further away from view. Mountains were traded for skyscrapers as we saw trains zoom into downtown Denver, we were excited by what the day could've held.

TRAINS!! UNION STATION!!
The day was warm and sunny with a little breeze, so I was glad that I had brought my backpack to put our winter coats inside. I was really impressed/fascinated with Union Station. I liked the busy flower shop in the lobby, all the little shops filled with knick-knacks. Our day in Denver was a short one. We walked out of Union Station and walked towards the downtown "mall" that was really just a long street with shops and restaurants. We stopped to go into a Starbucks, not for the coffee though, for a mug. See, I collect Starbucks mugs and I wanted to get the Denver mug to add to my collection. While in Starbucks, we talked about how Starbucks has ended the other collection that my cousin I originally collected and now released a collection called the "Been There Series". After buying the Denver mug, we continued our walk and then went inside a gift shop. I bought some postcards that were pretty nice and cheap to send to friends and family. Jeez Louise, that gift shop was super warm.

This whole sign says DENVER but
I couldn't get it all in the frame. 
Anyways, we continued our walk until a street corner where you could see the state capitol building. Here's a fun fact I learned while on a school visit to Colorado School of Mines, they actually were the state capitol building for a pretty long time (and the one with the largest gold dome) before the current state capitol replaced them (with a bigger gold dome). Anyways, we found a cute coffee shop not too far away from where we were and decided to go and have an afternoon pick me up. It was a cafe called Novo Coffee with a small interior with big windows, and warm cushions that we gratefully sat down and took off our bags and sighed. Looking at the menu, I wasn't craving coffee because I had coffee only a couple of hours ago and I had a slight headache. I decided to have a vanilla milk spritzer, which is essentially warm foamed milk with some vanilla syrup. It was pretty good! My cousin got a fruity iced tea and we played several rounds of cards. There are several games that we play: 51, a card game our grandmother taught us. Then there is another game my friends taught me a week before called Idiot that is super fast and really fun. We realized that there wasn't really much for us to do, so after about an hour we looked for a bus back to Boulder later in the afternoon.

We packed up and went to Bath and Body Works because my cousin wanted to buy some hand sanitizers (HAHA SHE WAS AHEAD OF HER TIME!) we then saw that a Papyrus (a stationery/card store) was going out of business and was having a pretty big sale. We both bought cards for future holidays like mother's day, Christmas, the whole shebang. The street that we were on actually had a free bus that went up and down the whole day, so we hopped on the bus to head back to Union Station and catch our bus. When we waited at the station, my cousin had to go to a faraway bathroom because the closest one was out of service. So there I was, standing in an underground tunnel, seeing the bus pull up, and slightly panicking. It was kinda like being an action movie where the actor jumps to another roof in slow mo and you wonder if he'll make it. Granted, this was just if my cousin and I would make the bus, but it certainly felt that way. We made it in time, and the bus was quite full. I had a window seat and watch the city fade away and I saw the groundhogs/prairie dogs pop out and say what's up as we were passing by. My cousin took a nap, and I texted my family about our day.

Dinner at Pasta Jay's!
Once we arrived in Boulder, it was a little bit before dinner time and decided to go to eat because we did not have lunch. The sun was setting behind the mountains and it was such a lovely afternoon. The place that we went to for dinner was called Pasta Jay's, an Italian restaurant that was very nice and cozy.  We talked about school, how my cousin is enjoying life in Colorado and our families. After dinner, we walked around into the different shops and I bought gifts for my siblings and for myself at a ski shop. OH! And the best part about this store was that one of the workers brought her SWEET dog to work, named Jupiter (I think) and he was such a good boy. He had recently gotten surgery and did not want to be away from his mama (awww). I also went into a thrift store, looking and scheming if I could find anything. See here's the thing, a thrift store next to a college campus, better yet near a rich ski town, would have pretty good things right? And OH WAS I RIGHT! I was trying to find Doc Marten shoes and I ended up finding SEVERAL pairs in the men section, but unfortunately, they did not equivalate to my shoe size. There were also cute clothes, but I decided not to get anything else to grant my tiny carry on some mercy. For some strange reason, the stores started closing around 6pm, to which I think that it was because it was still winter and it was a Sunday.
pretty view in Boulder :)

Starbucks was one of the only places still open, so we went and warmed up (and I rested my feet from my god awful shoes). We played some more card games and organized our things while waiting for the next possible bus to take us back to the dorms. When we walked out, it got cold, fast. The wind was blowing and it was dark. We took a bus to campus and we would then take another to the dorm. Our time waiting for the bus was accompanied by a group of college students in pajamas and they were doing a variety of Tiktok dances. I was just standing there, shivering, looking like o_0. We made it to the dorm pretty early in the evening because my cousin had an exam to study for, while I wanted to work on some homework. I showered, and no one was in the communal bathroom again and I was like alright, sick. I called my parents and told them what was going on and I had some of the leftover cookies.

After a long day of walking, sightseeing, and petting doggos, I was tired and passed out. Tune in for my last day in Boulder where I go... ON A COLLEGE TOUR! OOOooo so exciting! (Trust me, I learned some weird facts). Anyways, yes I am sorry for not getting this up as soon as I hoped, things have been rough for me within the past weeks and I am now getting back in the groove of writing. Denver is a pretty cool city, I love its architecture and I would love to visit some of its museums and botanical gardens in the future. Some parts of its downtown remind me of Houston, where it is more of business rather than entertainment and tourism. I hope you and your family are doing well and are safe at home! Thank you for reading and have a fabulous day :)
love,
yo girl emilia

Follow me on Instagram: @yogirlemilia




Comments

Popular Posts