How I use my bullet journal as a busy teenager + common myths debunked!

Greetings children, we are about halfway through the school year. Are you holding up? No? Well, that is ok my dear, because there is never a designated time for everyone to get their crap together. Only you have the power to motivate yourself to get it together. Hopefully, I can help a little bit with it and add some insight. But I wish you all the best, especially my fellow upperclassmen :)

Definition of a bullet journal that I found on Google:
"The Bullet Journal is an organizational system in a notebook that keeps track of anything you would like to write down in a coherent way."

Here is my personal definition:
A bullet journal is a journal that you can customize in three ways: planar, art, and writing journal. You can only use one of the three or combine all of them. It just depends on how you like and what FUNCTIONS for you. Start with a blank notebook and pen, and get started.


Common myths about bullet journals:


-You have to be super creative and artistic.
↳Nope. It can be black and white, messy, minimalist, whatever you like. And besides, no one starts off with beautiful calligraphy (just look at me!)
-It takes up an absurd amount of time.
↳It is all about how much time you put into it. If you are just starting and wanting to make it really simple, then it does not take up too much time. I have been bullet journaling for 3 years now and it takes PRACTICE to come up and improve art. And practice takes time.
-If I make a mistake, I can't do it anymore.
↳Guys, I make mistakes ALL THE TIME. The secret is just how do you hide it ;)
cute pink weekly spread :)

How I use my bullet journal in day to day life


I actually like to combine all three elements. My bullet journal is a creative outlet for me to release any feelings I can't put to words, relax after a long day, and document memories to look back on. A couple of days before the beginning of the next month, I will sit down on a night where I don't have much homework and do my monthly spreads. Your monthly spreads are just a couple of different trackers, organizers, and logs for you to keep track of throughout the month.

My monthly spreads:

-Mood board (a collage of what color scheme/mood I am feeling for the month)
-Habit & Mood Tracker (a grid where I label each day and fill in whether or not if I completed my normal tasks like taking my vitamins or reading)
-Monthly calendar (an actual calendar where I write everything going on that month. It gives me a good look to see what weekends are free, how to split up study time, etc;
-Month goals (some are personal, some are just seriously "Have fun at homecoming!" or read 2 books. Set realistic goals that you can achieve with a work ethic, that way you don't disappoint yourself because you didn't achieve any goals)
-Monthly playlist (this one has slowly become one of my favorites. I create little spots to write songs, and throughout the month I will write down any songs that are my favorite at the moment.)
-Sleep Tracker (as a junior in high school, I think tracking your sleep is important because it gives you a good idea of how much sleep you are getting, and set aside more time to recover.)

After I have all of that setup, I will normally set up my weekly spreads. Normally, I don't have all seven days in one spread so I can spread out my days and have enough space for everything. I will normally have about 4 days in each section just because I have a smaller journal that most people, and so I have enough room to journal.
The top bullet journal is my first one from 2017.
My weekly spreads soon shifted to the ones on the
 bottom with my more recent bullet journals.

My weekly spreads:

-A tiny calendar- I like adding a tiny calendar to keep track of what I have going on that week and the next. It is a great visual to see what day you are on and see what you have coming up.
-Aesthetic pictures- I kid you not, I have a huge Pinterest board that is pretty pictures organized by color. That board is kinda my pride and joy. Anyways, I will copy and paste them onto a Google document, arrange them how I like, then send it to one of my parents who can print it out at work. I then spend my evening cutting them out and put them in my little box filled with pictures meant for my bullet journal.
-Half Pages- Sometimes, I will do spreads where in the middle there is a half-page just for the heck of it. The actual term for it is "Dutch doors", I didn't think the Dutch had such significance to bullet journaling (that is such a dad joke, I'm sorry) You can write your calendar on the half page, or any notes and reminders.
-When things get busy- I make my weekly spreads in advance, so I sometimes know that a specific week will be extremely busy with events or tests. I step back from the ~*aesthetic*~ of making spreads with colorful pictures and I just make one that is vertical. One that has enough space for all of my tasks and one that doesn't demand huge amounts of time because I am directing my time for something different.
example of verticle weekly spread

Conclusion:

Bullet Journaling is not as difficult as it seems. It is a system entirely designed by you to plan out your days and months. Personally, looking at a black and white planar from Walmart stresses me out because you feel less organized and not put together because you failed to write down a simple task. Whereas when I work with my bullet journal, I always look at Pinterest and Youtube for inspiration and feel a little bit of motivation to continue. Yes, there are some spreads that don't turn out as well as I hoped, but I keep moving forward and don't cry into pillows because I spelled September wrong on accident. The choice is up to you, dear reader, how you will organize your time and document your memories. I wish you all the best of luck within this upcoming semester and that you do not procrastinate as much as you did last semester ;)
Here are my 6 completed bullet journals!
I am currently on my 7th bullet journal (not pictured) and 4th year of bullet journaling.

love, 
yo girl emilia 

Follow me on my bullet journal Instagram and blog Instagram:
@emilialikesbooks
@yogirlemilia

Comments

Popular Posts