The Balance by Catfish and the Bottlemen Album Review

As some of you may know already, I have been a long time fan of the band, Catfish and the Bottlemen. On April 26th, 2019, they came out with a new album, The Balance. I wanted to make a review on each song and then rank them and let you know my overall opinions.



Longshot

This was the first song Catfish released as their first single. For many, including myself, it was so refreshing to be listening to Catfish and the Bottlemen again. As for the music in this song, it has some major uniqueness compared to other songs. I really like the base in the beginning and when I went to go see them in concert earlier this year, this was such a good song to open with. My favorite part of the song is towards the end with "beat drop" and it just fast vocals.


Fluctuate

This was the second single released for this album and HOLY CRAP, I honestly love this one more than Longshot. I love the vocals in this one, it pairs so greatly with the guitar and base. Throughout the song, the drums constantly make me feel like I am on a motorcycle chase with a black leather jacket and Top Gun Aviator Sunglasses. BEST PART IS GUITAR SOLO FOR SURE!
"If you're a blessing in disguise, how did I realize?"

2all
This song is great, not one of my favs, but it is great to me just because of what it makes me feel. "So I give my love to all, all the ones who stuck around" I always pictured myself throwing rose petals from a balcony to a crowd below. Why? I don't know, these lyrics just make me feel interesting. 

Conversation

Definitely one of my favorite songs off of this album. It starts off with this guitar piece and you just want to tap your foot and bob your head. The chorus is so so good and I think this would be my karaoke song if I were to ever go to a karaoke bar. Oh, the small guitar pieces before and after "You know me more than I know myself." (You know what part) OOOF it tugs my heart. 

Sidetrack

Funny story about this song, they DIDN'T release this song as one of their singles, and when they played this song when I saw them in concert, everyone was just dancing and no one knew the words. Everyone was super confused, yet pleasantly surprised. I like how mellow this one is compared to other songs on this album. No, it isn't like Hourglass but it starts off pretty quiet. It ends up with really good drums and throughout the song, it keeps increasing. The increase of intensity makes me feel like I am either running towards or away from something in a really badass way (like those sci-fi teen tv shows *cringe*)

Encore

I don't like how this song starts off, I'll admit that. But the vocals go up and down in this song, which I actually liked. Yeah other than that, this song is kinda repetitive and I don't really have much else to say.

Basically

Good, good, good! Rapid start that AMAZING guitar and bass in this song. Ah, I feel like kicking chairs and cutting my hair short. Basically, haha see what I did there, I really love the chorus but I am very confused about textbooks being referenced in the lyrics. Other than that, pretty good!

Intermission

I know this "song" is only a minute, but I love the bass and I can just picture this being performed in some low red light with fog and shadows. This intermission kinda adds suspense for the rest of the album, while also settling you down from the 1st part of the album.

Mission

Drums, drums, and more drums. God bless the beautiful relationship between the guitar and drums in this song. I feel a sense of suspense at the beginning of the song that leads to a pretty epic part at the end that is just guitar, bass, and drums. But this song does sorta end abruptly though. 


Coincide

This album ends on such a good note with Mission, Coincide, and Overlap. I love the chorus that when this album came out I was just singing and dancing with the drums. I really like the round/background vocals overlap towards the end.

Overlap

I thought that this was going to be one of the only slow songs on the album but NOOO. Dear reader, it was such a pleasant surprise when the guitar started escalating quickly. I think everything about this song is so good. I have been listening to it nonstop ever since the album was released. Vocals? Great. Guitar solo? Dominates throughout the song. The element of surprise? 110% This is definitely my favorite song from the album.


Ranking: Best to Least
Overlap
Mission
Basically
Sidetrack
Fluctuate
Coincide
Conversation
Longshot
Intermission
2all
Encore
Overall thoughts? This album was really good, after not coming out with a new album for 3 years, they have maintained their style that I love. I would say I am a bit disappointed that there aren't any slower, more mellow songs on this album. In past albums, you had Glasgow, and Hourglass, all mellower than its following songs on the albums. But, this is a great album, I don't deny that. I especially love the album art for this album, I like the
Toucan with its crazy eyes.



Thank you so much for reading this blog post! I am glad that there are some people out there who will listen to me ramble about indie, alternative music. Let me know your thoughts about this album, which songs were your favorite?
Thanks for reading!
Love,
yo girl emilia

Comments

Popular Posts